Saturday, August 13, 2011

Notorious by Nicola Cornick



Title/Author: Notorious by Nicola Cornick
Publisher/Date published: July 26th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "When the ton's most notorious heartbreaker...
Dangerously seductive and sinfully beautiful, Susanna Burney is society's most sought after matchbreaker. Paid by wealthy parents to part unsuitable couples, she's never yet failed to accomplish her mission of diverting a groom-to-be. Until her final assignment brings her face-to-face with the man who'd once taught her an intimate lesson in heartache...
Meets London's most disreputable rake...
James Devlin has everything he's always wanted: a title, a rich fiancée and a place in society. But the woman who's just met his eyes across a crowded ballroom threatens it all. Not because she'd once claimed his heart, or that every sinuous swirl of her ball gown takes his breath away. But because the secrets she carries could cost him everything. To put the past to rest once and for all, Dev just might have to play Susanna at her own wicked game...
Let the seduction begin!"

I really enjoyed this book! Some of the frustrations I've had with the last couple of historical romances I've read didn't enter this one, so I'm good.

Devlin and Susanna have a history together and if it becomes more widely known, it could ruin both of their plans. Enter angst and tension. Enter more angst on Susanna's side because she knows they have history Devlin isn't aware of. Mystery, check! Tension, check! Lustable male, check! Strong female, check! Hearbreak, check! Believable love, CHECK!

My eyes tearing up... fail. Sadly, I didn't cry, but I did have stomach-clenching moments, so it's all good. But I so wanted to cry! This one did come the closest I've been to crying in a pretty long time, so I'm happy.

I really enjoyed this book, but the main characters were probably the only ones I actually liked. The man Susanna is sent to seduce was annoying and stupid and Devlin's sister made me cringe a bit as well. And I didn't like that she was pushed into a loveless marriage, somehow I feel that's not supposed to happen in a romance novel.

But this was really good, I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to meet the twins Susanna looks after, but well, you can't have it all. And I did like that Susanna didn't just change her mind about everything she believed in and wanted because of Devlin. She wanted love, not a sense of duty and I support her in staying true to that.

My rating: 4,5 stars (crying gets you five)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like your way of thinking!
    I love when a book makes me cry for all the right reason, not because it's just trying to get me but because organically gets there.

    Anyway, I hadn't heard of this one but I'll be checking it out for sure - I'm a crier so, lets see if it makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the 'checks', and it almost made you cry?This sounds like a great read, thanks for the awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete