Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review of Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes



Title/Author: Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publisher/Date published: Egmont USA, December 27th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.
And then every day in between... She's something else entirely.
Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.
When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive... and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process."

From the reviews I've admittedly skimmed before starting this book, it seems to be either a hit or miss. And I'm really glad to say I fall into the first category! :)

Every Other Day is an actionpacked, fast read that had me wanting to keep reading to find out EVERYTHING! There's a whole lot of mystery surrounding Kali's mother and also about what exactly it is that Kali is. Cause it's not really normal for a girl to turn into a predatory, self-healing zombie-killer every other day.

I really felt for Kali. She's never had friends before and isn't on the best of terms with her father, the only parent she has left. And seriously, I guess the whole supernatural-killing thing can be traumatic even if you do have a happy life outside of it. Kali deals with it all pretty well in my opinion and I love that she's a strong girl. And I also loved that although she's hesitant at first, she learns to let other people in.
I also really liked both girls that become Kali's friends and I love that they are both well-rounded characters!

Also, I was pretty impressed the author didn't go for the obvious love-interest, because looking back that probably kind of would have ruined the story. And I liked that the romance that did appear didn't take over the whole storyline.

I was shocked and horrified along with Kali when she finds out more about herself and her mother and I don't want to give anything away, but what Kali turns out to be? BRILLIANT! I'm actually really hoping there will be a sequel someday, because I'm dying to find out more and to see what happens next for Kali and her friends!

My rating: 4,5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I admit I passed on this one because of the hit and miss reviews, since I tend to be very hard on vampire books - as they are not my favorite.

    But it sounds like it had some vevy well rounded characters :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely did! Vampire books aren't my favorite either, but this was handled very well!

      Delete
  2. I think the storytelling in this one was pretty good! Plus, I really loved Kali's friendships -and the big reveal part at the end!

    ReplyDelete