Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review of The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae by Stephanie Laurens


Title/Author: The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae (The Cynster Sisters Trilogy #3) by Stephanie Laurens
Publisher/Date published: Avon, February 1st 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Three heros, three rescues, three weddings.
We joyfully request your attendance at the wedding of Miss Angelica Cynster
...but not until she and her hero confront a devious enemy and lay to rest an ancient grudge in the Scottish Highlands!
Headstrong Angelica Cynster is certain she'll recognize her fated husband at first sight. And when her eyes meet those of a mysterious nobleman across a candlelit ballroom, she knows beyond doubt that he's the one. But her heart is soon pounding for an entirely different reason - when he hero abducts her!
The eighth Earl of Glencrae has no choice but to kidnap Angelica, the one Cynster sister with whom he hadn't wanted to tangle. But to save his castle and his clan, he must persuade her to assist him - and he's prepared to offer marriage to seal the deal."

I was glad I didn't give up on this series after I didn't really care much for the second book In Pursuit of Miss Eliza Cynster, because this one worked MUCH better for me. Like in the other one, they did sort of mutually fall in love with not much obstacles or angst or anything, but it still took a little work and I liked it.

Angelica is a much spunkier heroine than Eliza was and I liked her spirit. Sure she's young and doesn't have much experience with men, but coming from the Cynster family, she had a LOT of examples about how to 'manage' them. I loved that she was daring and trusting and even though I doubt most people would have gone along with Dominic's (the earl) plan, it didn't seem like a too-stupid-to-live moment, so I was good :)

Also, it takes them 188 pages to kiss. Seriously. And really, it worked and I was going KISS ALREADY!!! GAH! There was a excellent tension building going on and their first kiss was everything it should be in my humble opinion. I kinda liked that Angelica was more chasing him than the other way around, cause usually it's the men doing the chasing. Angelica took matters into her own hands (sometimes quite literally) and I love when a heroine knows what she wants and isn't afraid to take it. I did have a laugh out loud moment when Angelica uses a little gentle manipulation on Dominic and then says to him after 'Don't worry, you'll get used to it.'

And Dominic was a really great hero. He's big and manly and he's got the whole clanleader thing going on that was very attractive! With his protectiveness and sense of honor, I loved it. And I loved that he and Angelica actually talked about things and worked together. The whole backstory as to why Dominic had to kidnap a Cynster sister was pretty good and there's some serious crazyness involved!

The only thing that stopped me from giving the book 5 stars is that there was just no tension after they kissed and Angelica lost her virginity. I liked the story well enough, but the feelings they experienced just weren't as intense for me.

But The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae was a really enjoyable read and I do really like the whole Cynster family! I just didn't have the love/starcrossed drama I like to see somewhat of in my historical romances.

My rating: 4 stars

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lot of fun! I do need a GREAT historical romance though, because I feel like I've been missing out on them for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like when there is tension and a build up for the characters to kiss, too bad the tension goes after that.

    But I'm glad you enjoyed this book a lot more than the previous one!

    ReplyDelete