Friday, January 11, 2013

Review of Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Title/Author: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins
Publisher/Date published: Hyperion Books, March 2nd 2010
How I got this book: bought, to celebrate the end of one of my internships I think :)

Goodreads summary: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father - an elusive European warlock - only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

So I totally loved Hex Hall. LOVED. I was dragged into the story right from the first page and now I'm going crazy waiting for the next two books to get here! HOW WILL I SURVIVE THIS WAITING?? And why didn't wasn't this one of those times that I just went ahead and bought the whole series before even reading one of them? *sigh*

There's just something about boarding schools that I love. It intensifies the relationships between everyone cause you're around your fellow students 24/7 and a paranormal boarding school is just all kinds of exciting and mysterious. I loved the school as a setting and especially that it had a spell on it so it looked either shabby or luxurious based on how comfortable you felt there. That is so cool.

Sophie is my kind of girl: snarky, sassy, strong and with my kind of humor. I'd only read about 27 pages and I'd snorted twice already. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments and I'd been craving them! I've been reading somewhat heavier books and this was just what I needed! I love that Sophie isn't all good or bad, she has her greyness and I like that.

And Archer, oh my gosh, Archer. Like Sophie, I fell hard for that boy. There's just something about him. And even though he's arrogant as heck and there's this unnameable thing because OMG SPOILERS! I still love him. So he better unbreak my heart in the next two books. Or else. Seriously.

I literally flew (no pun intended, witches and all) through Hex Hall and have already ordered both of the next books in the series cause I'm DYING to find out what'll happen next. And to meet Sophie's dad. I have a feeling I might not like him all that much though.
I cannot believe it took me so long to read this book!! Seriously, why did noone scream at me until I read this book?? I mean, it's such a ME book!

Ahum.

My rating: 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why I have yet to read this series! I sincerely feel like there's so many things I'd love about it - main character, boarding school setting, paranormal/supernatural elements - so I should get started! So glad to see that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I need to read this book very soon! I've heard nothing but amazing things about it and now that I've read your review, I think all the aspects will make me fall in love with this book like you did :) Can't wait to check it out! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you liked it!! I liked this one and loved Demonglass (I have not been able to bring myself to read the end of the series :P)

    Anyway, I hope the next two get to you soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boarding school setting was such a draw for me but I ended up really loving the humor and Sophie as well. I was lucky enough to read this and Demonglass back to back but then had to wait for book 3. Enjoy them when they arrive!

    ReplyDelete