Monday, May 20, 2013

Daisy Update (41) On a Monday!

So I usually do this on Sundays, but as I was kinda busy yesterday I thought, well, let's just do it on Monday instead :)

Last time I told you guys how I was SO EXCITED about getting accepted for the GP residency and the Monday after I got a call telling me I could start in September 2013 instead of March 2014!! This lead to more excitement of course, cause now I won't have to look for a job to tie me over and I can just START! YAY! I feel really lucky and happy and just HURRAY! :D

So that week I only had to work Monday till Wednesday and I actually had a pretty decent evening shift, with only 1 patient coming into the ER. Which is awesome, because really, it's been insanely busy the last couple of months and now I just had room to breathe. And eat, which is pretty unusual.

Friday it was the boyfriend's birthday and we had some friends over in the afternoon who stayed for dinner and his and my family came over after, it was really fun and kinda exhausting. I kinda yawned the guests away around 11.30PM and after a while they got the hint ;)

Saturday we went out for drinks with some friends, which was fun and Sunday it was Mother's Day and it was time to go hug my mom and have dinner with her, my dad and my brother. We don't really spend a lot of time together as a family and it was nice to just have it be the four of us.

Last week was just BUSY. All together I think I worked 75 hours, which is sorta crazy. I was working on one of the wards again and I just love that! I also love that there are now 2 residents on a ward and I have so much more time to get to know the patients instead of just 'managing' them! It's nice to be able to do a little extra for them and not run around like a crazy person trying to get everything done on time! And now I actually have time to get coffee and socialize a bit with the other residents and nurses :)

Have you guys heard anything about the Eurovision Song Contest? I watched the semi-final on Thursday and seriously, I just laughed SO HARD at some of the performances! If you're interested in seeing why, I'll leave the links to the youtube clips of Macedonia and Romania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1VYsOUCsY

Where did they get all that red fabric???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3xp5ZXSYA

Move over Edward, here's another glittering vampire!

Oh, and just because I've been singing this with one of my coworkers ALL DAY Friday:



Even after a couple of years, it's still hilarious!

So, enough of these musical shenanigans!

Saturday was my last 24-hour shift and it was kinda ok! I only had one patient in the ER ALL DAY! Seriously, I was so surprised! One patient is pretty much NOTHING. I did have some sick patients on our wards, but for a whole day it was pretty ok. Two had a lot of fluid in their chest and I totally rocked doing a punction and draining some of it. It's still a little scary to stick a pretty big needle in someone's chest, but it went really well and it helped the patients! I didn't get much sleep at night because of some questions over the phone and one patient died, which was expected, but still.

Yesterday I just conked out when I got home and in the afternoon it was time for the annual barbecue we have with the boyfriend's friends. They have a carnival this weekend every year and we always get together for the barbecue at someone's house, this year it was at the boyfriend's parents' and it was really fun! They pretty much all have girlfriends and I like hanging out with them. I didn't join them when they went on to the carnival, because I was ready to fall asleep standing up and decided it was a better idea to just go home.

Today I'm just gonna give into my hermit tendencies and relax and not look presentable, because hey, noone's home except for me. I have 3 whole weeks off and I plan on reading ALL THE BOOKS and watching Pretty Little Liars and Grey's Anatomy and cook yummy food and maybe go on a little vacation and just have lots of quality time with the boyfriend! :) Oh, and go shopping. Cause seriously, what's time off without a little retail therapy? :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW Daisy, 75 hours is a LOT!!! You sooooo deserve 3 weeks off and shopping!

    And yay for getting to start that residency in September! That's very good news :-)

    I saw a bunch of people tweeting about Eurovision the other night and I had no idea what they were talking about, lol...

    Enjoy your time off!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete