Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review of The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn


Title/Author: The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons #2) by Julia Quinn
Publisher/Date published: Avon, June 2006
How I got this book: bought it, as recommended by my Broke and Brookish friend Julia
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: 1814 promises to be another eventful season, but not, this author believes, for Anthony Bridgerton, London's most elusive bachelor, who has shown no indication that he plans to marry.
And in truth, why should he? When it comes to playing the consummate rake, nobody does it better...
- Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, April 1814

But this time, the gossip columnists have it wrong. Anthony Bridgerton hasn't just decided to marry - he's even chosen a wife! The only obstacle is his intended's older sister, Kate Sheffield - the most meddlesome woman ever to grace a London ballroom. The spirited schemer is driving Anthony mad with her determination to stop the betrothal, but when he closes his eyes at night, Kate is the woman haunting his increasingly erotic dreams...

Contrary to popular belief, Kate is quite sure that reformed rakes do not make the best husbands - and Anthony Bridgerton is the most wicked rogue of them all. Kate is determined to protect her sister - but she fears her own heart is vulnerable. And when Anthony's lips touch hers, she's suddenly afraid she might not be able to resist the reprehensible rake herself...

I don't think I can even count the number of times Julia from The Broke and the Bookish has recommended this book to me, and stickler for order as I am, I decided to first read The Duke and I and from there on slowly make my way through Julia Quinn's backlist and OMG GUYS, BEST DECISION EVER!!!

And also: worst decision that it took me so long to get to this one after reading The Duke and I!

To give you fair warning: i don't think I'll be able to stop gushing about this book for a while.

I completely fell in love with both Kate and Anthony. I thought he might make for an interesting hero as he did amuse me in The Duke and I as the very protective brother of Daphne. I love that both Kate and Anthony are so devoted to their families! They truly do care about their siblings and it shows and they are just good people. I loved that they go head to head and that Kate isn't afraid to tell him exactly what she thinks of him and how much she disapproves of him as a potential match for her sister. These two sparkled off the page and their interactions were just amazing to watch!

And seriously, within moments of starting the book, Julia Quinn had me smiling like a madwoman, because I was enjoying myself so much and she brings the wit as well as the swoons! I'm REALLY glad I was alone for one part of the book, where Anthony and Kate chase Kate's dog Newton all over Hyde Park, because I could not stop giggling and even laughing out loud! It was awesome! I loved the sibling rivalry between the Bridgertons and the comedy this brings in the form of a pink ball for Pall Mall and just *sigh* I love this family.

Kate and Anthony had amazing chemistry and OMG THE SEXYTIMES WERE SEXY! YES! All the swooning over Anthony in all of his sensitive man moments and just TEARS! I totally cried over parts and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My little romantic heart is still thanking me for picking up this book, because it was just SO GOOD and Anthony and Kate are so right for each other and there was tension and heartbreak and SPARKS and just ALL OF THE GOODNESS.

I really liked The Duke and I, but I LOVED The Viscount Who Loved Me! It's everything I want in a historical romance and I love how Julia Quinn brings the funny! I'll makes sure not to wait this long again before reading the next novel in the series! The Viscount Who Loved Me goes straight to my favourites shelf, highly recommended!

My rating: 5+ stars

Made me crave: crispy M&M's

5 comments:

  1. Im so glad you liked this!!!
    The Bridgertons always make me happy when I read their stories. :) and hope you like the next books too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia Quinn WIN. The Bridgertons is such a good romance series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this one as well, and it's definitely a contender for my favorite in the Bridgerton series! Anthony's just such a great hero, and I could totally relate (and swoon over) his sense of responsibility towards his family. So happy you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books that make you giggle and laugh out loud and the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a lot of people love Colin's story best but Anthony's is probably my favorite (and I have a soft spot for Benedict's because Cinderella story!). That Pall Mall scene kills me every time and I'm glad it was revived for the Second Epilogue.

    ReplyDelete